How to Choose Hiking Boots
When looking to buy hiking boots, it is important that you find a pair that match your needs and are comfortable for your feet. There are four main types of boots:
- Light hiking shoes have flexible insoles and are great for all day hiking, and long distance lightweight backpacking. They look similar to hefty running shoes. They aren’t suitable for heavy weight loads.
- Hiking boots are used for day hiking and short backpacking trips. They require some breaking in, but are still lightweight. However, they lack the sole support of bulkier backpacking boots.
- Backpacking boots are designed to provide support for diverse weight loads. They are very durable and can be used on the trail or off the trail. They have stiffer midsoles, so they can take a while to break in.
- Mountaineering boots are heavier boots with very stiff midsoles. The can carry very heavy weight loads. They are durable and supportive for intense traveling.
When purchasing your boots make sure you take a good look at the materials that are used to make it. Materials are important because they influence water resistance, durability, and weight. Synthetic materials are lighter weight and more flexible, however they are not as durable as other materials. Split-grain leather is lightweight and costs less, however it has less ability to resist water. Full-grain leather is very durable and resistant to water. It is heavier and takes more time to break in than other boots. It is also more expensive than other materials. Waterproof linings are excellent for keeping feet dry in wet conditions; alternatively, they diminish some breathing ability of the boots. Take all of these factors into account, and determine what your greatest needs are to decide which materials you want used in the boots you purchase.
Finally, when you find a pair you like, make sure you get a proper fit. The fit is one of the most important factors in picking a pair of boots because extended use of boots that fit poorly can lead to various problems. Make sure you feel that the length, width, and volume of the boots fit accordingly to your needs.
Ahnu Women's Sugarpine WP Hiking Boot, Blue Spell, 9 M US
Timberland White Ledge Men's Waterproof Boot,Dark Brown,10.5 M US
Columbia Women's Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot, Quarry/Cool Wave, 7.5 M US
- Vibram non-marking outsole and slip-resistant lugs provide grip and traction on varied surfaces
- Ahnu's waterproof, breathable membrane to keep feet dry
- Dual density EVA provides extra shock absorption with heel and arch support
- Hiking boot with oiled-leather finish featuring lace-up vamp and rear pull loop
- Multidirectional traction lugs
- Removable dual-density EVA footbed
- Waterproof full grain leather
- How to Measure: Place heel against fold/wall on flat level surface.Mark the end of the longest toe with a pen or...
- Compression-molded EVA foam midsole
- EAN: 0190108032338
- MPN: AF2422-BSP
- UPC: 190108032338
- EAN: 0829024285824
- MPN: TB012135214
- SKU: C12135_BROWN-105
- UPC: 829024285824
- EAN: 0886535919044
- MPN: 1424692-052-7.5 Regular US
- UPC: 886535919044
How To Choose The Best Hiking Boots
Hiking and backpacking boots are one of the most critical outdoor gear selections that you can make. They will literally determine the quality and comfort of...
What is the Best Vegan Hiking boot for a multi day hike?
Q: My boyfriend and I are planning to do some hiking and he is trying to help me find a good hiking boot. While his experience is "Leather with gore-tex is the end all be all" , I'm a more compassionate soul and want to find an ethically made, waterproof, good treads on the bottom, not too heavy,...